HISTORY OF SCNCAC
- In the early 1990’s, a task force was initiated by S.C. Senator Nell Smith.
- Dr. Steve Cuffe chaired a task force in 1994 which led to a proposal to the legislative children’s committee to fund children’s centers and develop statewide standards. This proposal died for lack of funding. Later the Children’s Justice Act Task Force established the children’s centers committee and recommended expansion of comprehensive centers.
- In 1997, the committee developed goals and standards after reviewing various models. The goal of establishing six centers by 1998 was attained.
- On June 13, 2000, SCNCAC was recognized by NCA as a chapter.
- On September 2, 2005, SCNCAC was incorporated as a nonprofit organization in South Carolina and on November 14, 2006 we were officially recognized as a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with the IRS.
- In October 2011, SCNCAC was awarded accreditation through the National Children’s Alliance.
SCNCAC provides specialized training, technical assistance, and general support services to Children’s Advocacy Centers and other community partners.
SOUTH CAROLINA CAC STATISTICS